Statement sent to the Prime Minister about UPR reportDear Prime Minister
Mr. Tammam Salam
In November 2015, it is supposed that Lebanon submit its second omega replica elaborate watches national report about human rights situation in Lebanon, in front of the UPR session (UPR) at the Human Rights Council at the UN headquarters in Geneva.
Lebanon has submitted its first national report in front of the ninth session of the Group on the Universal Periodic Review in November 2010, where Lebanese government pledged infront of the UN Human Rights Council in March 2011 to strengthen the human rights situation and to implement the 41 recommendations raised by 49 countries.
These recommendations will be accountable to Lebanon about the extent implemented in the UPR session in November 2015 in Geneva.
Most of the recommendations have not materialized, and the Lebanese government did not put a practical mechanism to implement the recommendations and no systematic coordination with the main partner, the civil society organizations.
Among the most prominent recommendations that Lebanon do not implement, including:
1. Do not establish a national preventive mechanism to prevent torture. Where it was supposed its inception in 2009 (5 years delay) after Lebanon ratified the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture.
2. Do not establish the National Foundation for Human Rights, according to the Paris Principles.
3. Do not establish a National Independent Commission to investigate the fate of missing persons and victims of enforced disappearance and failure to ratify the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance.
4 .Do not address the serious issue of prisons, slowness in trials and improve the health and social conditions of the prisoners.
5. Establishment of the Directorate General for Human Rights in the Ministry of Justice.
6 . Modify the relevant legislation to harmonize the definition of torture in domestic laws and the criminalization of torture.
7. Activation amendments labor law and social security law that Palestinian refugees have the right to work.
8. Establishment of a coordination mechanism at the national level to provide and monitor the implementation of the commitments which falls on the government under the treaties.
9. Submission of periodic reports overdue provided under treaties and conventions to which Lebanon was joined, including:
A. The Convention Against Torture, signed by Lebanon in 2000 ,late in submission of the initial and periodic report 15 years.
B. International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights , Lebanon late in submission of it’s third report since 2001,13 years.
T.. Report of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, since 2006, late 9 years.
W. Periodic report on the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, since 1995, was delayed 19 years.
C. Convention on the Rights of the Child, for late submission of the report the league since 2010. Etc. .....
10.. Ratification of a number of international conventions include:
• Failure to ratify the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearances, despite the government's announcement in its ministerial statement in 2009 to work for the ratification of the Convention.
• Failure to ratify the UNESCO Convention for the protection and promotion of cultural expressions.
• Failure to ratify the Optional Protocols to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
• Failure to ratify the Optional Protocols to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, the Protocol on children in armed conflict.
• Not joining the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the Protocol.
• Do not amend the law on nationality so that all Lebanese women married to foreigners to grant their nationality to their children and husbands.
• Not to amend the personal status law to ensure the rights of women, particularly with regard to dissolution of marriage, child custody and inheritance, and divorce. Cancelation of the current sponsorship system for foreign workers.
• Do not abolish the death penalty.
This is the tip of the iceberg official negligence in the fulfillment of Lebanon obligations in front of the highest authority of international human rights and that will give a bad image of Lebanon because of the failure to fulfill the implementation of what promised.
We do not deny that Lebanon is passing through a difficult transformation sometimes without doing full duties, but do not deny that there have been attempts to implement a number of recommendations, some projects in the inclusion of the parlament, but all this do not justifies this reluctance grave, which amounts to a scandal in the implementation of the recommendations and the preparation of reports, as how it can be justified delay for providing some reports 19-year-old or 15-year-old this is shameful for Lebanon? Whatever the situation we do not find a justification for it because the Lebanese governments did not establish successive coordinating mechanism or device at the official level to prepare such reports, and therefore can not say that the security conditions are the cause.
Also, the government did not organized a dialogue with the civil society organizations to coordinate and filling gaps that will make embarrassing in front of the Lebanese government accountable for the preparation of reports and implement the recommendations pomised by Lebanon.
So hopefully the utmost speed to start preparing a governmental workshop and parliamentary cooperation with stakeholders and all civil society organizations and the formation of a coordination committee to prepare the required reports and put a calendar process to implement the recommendations through a serious dialogue between the government and the Lebanese and the Palestinian society and expand this dialogue to include most of the activities of humanitarian and economic, social and expand this dialogue to hold a national conference in preparation for the prominent watches fake audemars piguet big event, which will be international terminal on human rights in Lebanon, where the last stage is exceeded, despite the difficulties and troubled political situation.
Secretary General of the Khiam Rehabilitation
Center for Victims of Torture
Director of the Center for Research and Studies
Saad Eddin Shatila