The increase of violations in LebanonThe increase of human rights violations in Lebanon
The year 2011 marked violations of civil liberties, and restrictions on human rights defenders, including:
On June 26, 2011 International Day in Support of Victims of Torture,the Ambassador of the International Organization for Human Rights Ali Aqil Khalil held a press conference in which he presented photographs of cases of torture in Roumyeh prison , on 31/6/2011 issued a Public Relations Division of the Directorate General of Internal Security Forces issued a statement in which it denied the in the words of activist Ali Akil Khalil and transmit the file to the judiciary and the prosecution of Mr. Khalil to provide the media false information, wasn’t arrest warrant, and will be represented in the February 8, 2012 to investigate before the President of the Military Court in Beirut.
We note that Mr. Ali Khalil is to investigate after a series of investigations with activists from local and international organizations issued reports about torture in Roumyeh prison.
The trial of Ali Akil Khalil is a violation of human rights and blatant assault on human rights defenders, Torture in Romyeh prison does not need pictures, the officials statements of the Ministers of Interior and Public Health after there visits to Roumyeh prison on 24.01.2012 on the tragic situation of the prisoners is an affirmation to the previously announcement Ali Akil Khalil and prove all reports issued by the humanitarian organizations about Roumyeh prison and Lebanese prisons.
Was rather the investigation of cases of torture in prison, not with Roumyeh and activists who provided the media or documented cases tortured.
Was rather to investigate the prison administration about how to enter drug and machetes, was rather investigate the massacre that led to the killing of 4 prisoners in the April 2, 2011.
The appearance of activist Ali Aqil Khalil on the trial on February 8, 2012, we consider an assault trial on human rights activists.
In addition to this and other human rights violations
• Arrest of the activist Ismail Sheikh Hassan at Beirut airport on 10 \ 2 \ 2011, because of an article in Al-Safir newspaper. In addition to the detention of the journalist Hikmat Sharif, the representative of the French News Agency, for 24 hours at the Information Branch in Bekaa, after he received a phone call from a Roumieh prisoner who contacted him because he needs medicines.
• Interrogating the activitist Saad Eddin Shatila representative of Al-Karama organization in Beirut on July 25 for investigation against the backdrop of reports of torture in Lebanese prisons. He was interrogated twice then the case was dropped.
• A claim addressed by the Internal Security Forces on June 31 against Ali Aqil Khalil , the activist and defender of the rights of prisoners of Roumyeh prison and charging him of promoting pictures of torture from Roumyeh prison.
• Attacking a celebration of the Federation of Democratic Youth in Adloun twon and throwing him with eggs at the anniversary of the launch of the national resistance on September the 16th.
• Arresting 7 of the activists against the sectarian system on April 28 during their strike in Riad Solh Square.
• A case against Wadih Al Asmar, the director of the Lebanese Center for Human Rights on 10/2/2011.
Such and similar practices reflect the decline of the human rights movement in Lebanon and the increase of violations.
Khiam Rehabilitation Center for Victims of Torture is calling the Human Rights Council at its nineteenth session held accountable for these violations on Lebanon and the restrictions on human rights defenders and to cease persecution committed to international covenants and treaties.